I finally got around to finish the high poly version of my character . It involved a lot of box-modeling and patience! I’ve made the model so I can easily turn it into a low poly (game-ready) version by not working with control-edges but “crease values” using the Turbosmooth Pro plugin. I don’t know when I’ll have the next update ready, since I’m in the process of moving together with my girlfriend, which takes some time.
I think I’m done with designing the character and I made some color changes in the process. When I combined the head with the armor it all just blended together, so I decided to change his tribal markings to a bright yellow which compliment the blue armor great ( I think).
Next up is – well I’m not exactly sure yet. I’m not sure whether to just use the rough sculpt in ZBrush to bake from or retopologize in 3ds max first. I think I’m going to start a thread on Polycount.com asking peps for guidance.
I’ve had a busy schedule this week and finally got around to finish the waist armor for the character – nothing new under the sun, workflow-wise. A part of my schedule included a trip to the cinema watching “Interstella” and I really liked it. Besides it’s mildly silly ending I think it’s a great movie and I feel like Nolan took Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey, and combined it with his own vision and added a little Mass Effect (I’m thinking of the spacesuits and Cooper Station). Anyway, it was refreshing to see something different in the space-genre than the usual “Michael Bay/Guillermo Del Toro trash and even got me more pumped up about my own project.
Instead of creating the rest of the body, I’ve been busy doing some concept art for the armor my character is going to wear. Why spend time on something you can’t see anyways. I’ve only done the torso at this point, but the rest will follow, for sure. It’s a huge time saver, having the design layered out before doing all the high-poly modeling. That way, you are also sure that your style of design is gonna be continuous throughout the modeling.
I used the same method doing this piece as with the head except that I skipped the first quick sketches in Photoshop. I find that it’s a lot easier to do hard surface designs in ZBrush, mainly because you get the perspective handed to you on a plate :-)
Lately I’ve been feeling an itch to do something related to the Mass Effect series. Something that would integrate into the universe but still be my own take on it. I think the itch rose from seeing the new cinematic trailers for the upcoming Master Chief Collection which made me think of the Playstation equivalent: Mass Effect. I’ve always been a huge fan of Mass Effect and Bioware, and with Mass Effect 4 in the making and possibly a remake of the first 3 titles, it just seemed like the right time to make something myself.
I’ve chosen to do a full character, mainly because I thought that would be the most rewarding and fun thing to do. First I decided to do some quick sketches, mainly to get the feeling of the Wacom back (it’s been a long time since I drew anything) but also to work out the proportions of the character. I havn’t gotten to the body yet, but one step at the time :-)
Then I began to flesh out the head in ZBrush to figure out the final forms. I used different elements from the previous drawings and combined them with ideas I got in the sculpting process. Never get your head locked on a single idea – it can be very destructive in the creative process.
This is where I am right now. I will continue updating the blog, as I’m making progress on the character. Cheers :-)
Just wanted to let you know that I officially have entered this years Blizzardfest Challenge over at Gameartisans
If you want to follow the progress until the competition ends (September 22nd), just follow THIS
Here is the progress I made. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to finish it in time for the competitions deadline, but it was fun participating :-)
Marmoset (unfinished paint)
ZBrush (High Poly)
I’ve finally begun the process of making this creature look “real”. I’ve really learned a lot getting to this point. Mostly small tricks and ways to improve stuff.
Here is where I’m at. I probably wont update again before after the holiday (3 weeks from now)
Here is my latest spare-time project. The goal is to get some high-end images of him using all tools available. At this point, I’m almost done blocking out the character. I still need to figure out some of the design thou…